Hi Everyone! I hope that all is going well with you. Before I get into talking about some of my favorite cotton yarns, I just wanted to give you a reminder to take it easy and be kind to yourself. We all need reminders, every now and then, to stop and do a little self-care, especially as we are emerging from some trying times. This reminder is not only for you, but for me also. I often get so caught up in work that I forget to give myself time to relax and restore my energy. With that said, one of the ways that I like to relax is by having a hot cup of tea or cold (some homemade cookies wouldn’t hurt either), and crocheting of course.
Sometimes crocheting during the summer months can be challenging because it’s often associated with making projects for the cooler times of the year. However, there are a lot of cotton and cotton blend yarns out there that would be perfect for summer month projects. So, if you’re looking for some cotton yarns to work with to make some summer items like tops, beach cover ups, home décor, etc., I’ve made a list of 7 of my favorite yarns that you might like to try.
Links included in this post might be affiliate links. If you make a purchase with the links I provide, I may receive a small commission at no additional charge to you!
Here we go!
- Yarnspirations Lily Sugar ‘n Cream Solids
- Yarnspirations Lily Sugar ‘n Cream Ombre
- Yarnspirations Caron Cotton Cakes
- Premier Home Cotton
- Premier Cotton Sprout
- Premier Cotton Fair
- Lion Brand 24/7 Cotton
- Yarnspirations Lily Sugar ‘n Cream Solids yarn is a great yarn to use for a variety of home projects like dishcloths, washcloths, pot holders, decorative pillow covers, etc. However, I have also used it to make ponchos, vests and tote bags. It’s made with 100% cotton and I really love that it’s machine washable and dryable. It’s a size 4 medium weight yarn and it comes in 36 colors.
2. Yarnspirations Lily Sugar ‘n Cream Ombre yarn is another one of my favorites. It can be used for the same type of projects as the solids. It’s a size 4 medium weight, 100% cotton, and it comes in 36 colors just like the solids. I love how the different shades of color are blended together to give an ombre affect. It’s machine washable and dryable too!
3. Yarnspirations Caron Cotton Cakes yarn is one of my new favorite cotton blend yarns. I just started using this yarn for a new project for the relaunching of my shop Sultana’s Crochet. (If you want to be one of the first to be notified when I relaunch my shop, you can sign up for my email list here). This yarn is 60% cotton and 40% acrylic. It’s a size 4 medium weight yarn, comes in 10 colors, and is machine washable and dryable. I love how the acrylic makes the cotton a little softer and pliable. I think that this yarn would be great for clothing items like sweaters, hats, scarves, as well as for home items i.e. blankets, decorative pillow covers, etc. This yarn is a joy to work with and the stitches just glide off my crochet hook like a dream. I think that I’ll be getting more very soon.
4. Premier Home Cotton yarn is another cotton blend yarn that I love. It’s a size 4 medium weight yarn, is 85% cotton and 15% polyester, and is machine washable and dryable. The polyester that is added to the cotton gives it a little softer texture and helps to maintain the color. I have used this yarn in a variety of projects like washcloths, dishcloths, potholders and even ponchos. I enjoy using this yarn and it comes in 26 colors for the solid colors and the multicolor yarn comes in 24 colors.
5. Premier Cotton Sprout yarn is a new yarn that I’ve also just recently started using. It’s a size 3 light weight yarn, is 100% cotton, and is machine washable and dryable. This yarn is very soft and the colors are very vibrant. I usually prefer working with size 4 and up yarn, however, I didn’t mind using this weight also. I do have to confess though that I doubled the yarn to crochet the project that I used it for, just to make it a little heavier weight. However, if you enjoy using a light weight yarn, you should enjoy working with only one strand. It comes in 32 beautiful colors and I really think that you would enjoy making tops, shawls, or whatever you fancy with this yarn.
6. Premier Cotton Fair yarn is a cotton blend yarn which is 52% Cotton and 48% acrylic. It is a size 2 fine weight yarn, comes in 30 colors, and is machine washable and dryable. Well, you probably know by now that I prefer #4 weight or higher yarns, so I doubled this yarn also to work on my projects. I made some pot trivets and I have plans to make some scarves and shawls also. This yarn is very soft also and is easy to work with.
7. Lion Brand 24/7 Cotton is a 100% mercerized cotton yarn, size 4 medium weight and in 37 colors. You might be wondering what mercerized means. Mercerization is a process applied to cellulosic fibers – typically cotton (or cotton-covered thread with a polyester core) but hemp and linen can be mercerized also – to increase luster. It’s done after spinning the yard. They found that some of the benefits are of mercerized fiber is that it absorbs more water, absorbs dye better, which makes the colors brighter. With that said, I love this yarn and the texture. I have made vests and scarves with this yarn and the texture of this yarn is much different than non-mercerized yarn. I would highly recommend that you try this yarn.
So, to wrap things up, these are my top cotton or cotton blend yarns that I love to date. I say to date because there are many more cotton yarns that I have yet to try. I can’t wait to share with you more of my cotton yarn finds with you soon. In the meantime, have a great day and don’t forget to take the time for self-care. ❤️
Join Sultana’s Crochet email list to be the first to get the latest updates, promotions, and more. You even get a Free Pattern when you sign up!